What is Homeschooling :-
- Homeschooling is educating children at home instead of sending them to school.
In Favor :-
- These days, schools have become coercive. Leave learning, kids are facing too much pressure and stress which effect their mental health.
- Every child is different. Homeschooling allows to design the curriculum based on the student’s capabilities and interests.
- The need for rote learning will be eliminated. Children will completely understand the subject they are learning.
- Encouraging homeschooling will also put the pressure on regular schools to change their system of education.
- Once children reach certain age, they have the ability to educate themselves.
- In the present education education system of India, children do not have much time to pursue their own interests and hobbies.
- Creative and innovative thinking will be enhanced.
- Now, there are lots of ways to learn things because of the internet revolution. There are many blogs and youtube channels to assist children in educating themselves.
- They can learn about life rather than mere subjects.
- School curriculum is too rigid. Children do not have much choice to leave the subjects of their choice.
- Children can better explore themselves when they do not have constraints.
- These days talent is much more appreciated and encouraged, rather than certificates.
- Travel time to school will be saved.
- These days education is so expensive in regular schools. With homeschooling, parents can provide the same education at a very less expense.
- Parents and children can spend more time together strengthening family bonds.
- Homeschooled children may find it difficult to get accustomed to regular 9 to 5 jobs.
- Homeschooling may hinder social skills, if children do not get the opportunity of social situations more often.
- If the one who is guiding is not efficient, it will put child’s future at stake.
- Parents may not have knowledge and guiding skills as much as a well trained teacher.
- Children, who are homeschooled may lack certain social traits such as working in teams and building relationships with others.
- Children hear only their parents’ and community’s views. They may or may not be right. In regular schools, students will get the opportunity to learn many perspectives.
- Competitive spirit may not develop.
- Children who are being homeschooled will more likely to skip schedule than the children who are regular school going, because of less restrictions.
- Homeschoolers may not be as discipline as school going children.
Parents should have the right to decide the way of learning for their children. At present many institutes are not giving admission to the children who are homeschooled. There is a need to formulate policies and guidelines on homeschooling in India. The standard policy will help many homeschoolers and also children with special needs.
Afterwords :- Do you think homeschooling should be encouraged in India? Express your thoughts in the comment section below.
Copyright @ Group Discussion Ideas.
Photo credits : Jimmie